Friday, February 16, 2007

New Beginnings - No More Cadbury!

As I start this new journal, I'm finishing the last bite of a Cadbury egg. It will be the last such delicacy I have for some time, since the point of this new anonymous confession is to chronicle my upcoming weight loss. But first, a little about me...

In the 90's, I was quite heavy. The weight I documented, in approx. 1998, was 272 pounds. For the next 18 months or so, I managed to lose quite a bit of weight, bottoming out at 213. I looked good, felt good, had energy, all of the things that come with weight loss. Most importantly, I felt good about myself. My dream goal was to dip below the 200 mark, but that was as close as I got at the time.

I managed to maintain my weight in the low 220's for some time, and was quite comfortable with that. Until lately, that is.

Just shy of my 40th birthday, I'm in the high 240's. In fact, though I haven't been on a scale today, I suspect I'm just shy of 250, if not right on that number. Not good.

Seems that I have little or no self control. Today, as an example, I had intentions of working out at lunch, eating sensibly & light, and "starting over." Truth is, several days start just like that...but seldom end that way. So, I grabbed a quick B-fast thing at the convenience mart, ended up eating Mexican for lunch, and grabbed a couple of aforementioned Cadbury Eggs on my way back to the office.

From my past experience, I know what works for me. I have to control my calorie intake, and guard it religiously. After a bit, I crave less & less food, and it takes much less to make me feel like I'm full. Also, exercise needs to be consistent and intense (admittedly, the consistent part of that hasn't been a huge problem...but the intensity is suspect).

So here is my manifesto, beginning February 15th, 2007....
  1. I will re-read "Body for Life" which was a catalyst for me a few years ago, and I will strive to implement that program back into my life.

  2. I will count calories, and will stay between 1500-2000 for the undetermined future. I need to pursue that with "gazelle-like intensity"

  3. Exercise will be non-negotiable, and I will find ways to do something both at the gym and at home. I understand that in the first 6 weeks, any off days from exercise of some sort must be few & far between.

  4. I will begin to pound down the water. I know it played a big part in my earlier efforts, and I will seek to be constantly drinking (good for my kidneys, anyway).

  5. I will regularly spill my guts here about my habits, and will welcome any accountability and encouragement from any who stumble across this blog.

  6. I will find some others in my life who are also struggling in this area, and we'll journey together, and regularly provide some accountability to each other.

So, the bulk of this blog will deal with that. If you would like to join me, I would love to have you along for the ride. Maybe we can help each other!

No comments: